SWEET AND SOUR TOFU
This newly created recipe is my husband Gene’s new favorite.
- 2 cups brocolli cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup snow pea pods
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms or mushroom of choice
- ½ cup carrots sliced thinly and cut into half moons
- 1/3 cup celery sliced thinly
- ½ cup thinly sliced bok choy or nappa cabbage
- 1 cup organic firm tofu rinsed and cut into small cubes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 4 tbls coconut oil ( Divide into 2 tbls. to cook marinated tofu in and 2 tbls to cook drained steamed veggies in)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice reserved for serving.
OPTIONAL: ½ cup choice of chopped raw, unsalted peanuts, walnuts, shelled pistachios, or peanuts
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbls honey
- 4 tbls minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbls minced shallots
- 1/3 cup coconut water
- 2 tbls rice vinegar
- 1 tbls Eden natural mirin
- 1 tbls toasted sesame oil
Mix all ingredients, pour over tofu cubes in a flat container with a lid. Marinate tofu for at least 30 minutes, but best overnight.
Place all veggies, denser veggies first in a large non -stick skillet with ½” water. Cover and steam until barely crisp. Drain well. Heat 2 tbls coconut oil in pan, add drained steamed veggies and toss well.
In a separate pan, heat 2 tbls coconut oil and add marinated tofu. Cook over medium heat stirring gently until marinade thickens. Fold into steamed veggies mix. OPTIONAL: Add nuts of choice.
Serve over a bed of cooked brown rice.