With the dog days of summer upon us, here are a few tips to stay comfortable in the summer heat & humidity.
1) According to Traditional Chinese Medicine nutrition, apple juice cools “summer heat”. A refreshing glass of 50/50 unsweetened apple juice and sparkling water will go a long way to cooling you down in the summer heat. For a different twist, float some of your favorite frozen fruits in the spritzer. My favorites are: frozen whole grapes, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries ,sliced peaches, nectarines, kiwi or balls of melons and papaya.
2) Adding sliced cucumbers & steamed corn kernels cut off the cob to your salads is another TCM tip to cool “summer heat”.
3) Leftover chilled pasta or red potatoes can also be added to your salads for a lighter change from the usual lunch sandwich.
4) Make a frozen fruit smoothie for breakfast instead of cereal on those really warm days. I like to blend a medley of frozen fruits with either plain unsweetened yogurt or unsweetened coconut milk. If you prefer a more intense sweet taste, use a bit of stevia powder when you blend.
5) Frozen “fruitsicles” are quick and easy to make. Simply start with the above smoothie recipe & pour into popsicle molds or small paper cups with a stick inserted..then freeze for later. I make a double recipe in the morning so I can make a batch of “fruitsicles” for later.
6) Have aloe gel or juice on hand in your frig to help sooth sunburns or take the itch out of insect bites.
7) Remember to keep your water intake up, especially when drinking alcohol to prevent dehydration. Adding a slice of lemon or lime will make it easier to keep your target amount high.
8) Increasing your salad & raw veggies will help keep you in tune during the heat of summer.
9) On those really warm nights, make yourself an omelette filled with leftover steamed or grilled veggies like asparagus, summer squashes, zucchini, mushrooms and or green beans with maybe a side of grilled sourdough bread.
A VOTRE SANTE….